12 Steps For The Recovering Pharisee (like me)
1. We admit that our single most unmitigated pleasure is to judge other people.
2. We have come to believe that our means of obtaining greatness is: to make everyone lower than ourselves (in our own mind that is.)
3. We come to realize that we detest mercy being given to those who (unlike us), haven’t worked for it – and don’t deserve it.
4. WE have decided that we don’t want to get what we deserve after all. AND, we don’t want anyone else to get what they deserve either.
5. We will cease ALL attempts to apply “Biblical teachings & rebuke” to everyone else – but ourselves.
6. We are entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character & attitude. (same as CR)
7. We embrace the belief that we are – and always will be – experts at sinning.
8. We are looking closely at the lives of famous men and women of the Bible who turned out to be ordinary sinners like us.
9. We are seeking through prayer and meditation to make a conscious effort to consider others better than ourselves.
10. We embrace the “state of astonishment” as a permanent and glorious
11. We choose to rid ourselves of any attitude that is not bathed in
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we will
try to carry this message to others who think that Christians are better
than everyone else.